Wednesday, June 14, 2017

I DON'T WISH. I STRIVE.

In Harlem, there is "Striver's Row", a historic district located on both sides of West 138th and West 
139th Streets between Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard (Seventh Avenue) and Frederick Douglass Boulevard (Eighth Avenue) in Harlem. Noted for the residency of upwardly-mobile professionals or rather experts, or "strivers", Among those who lived in Striver's Row were:
musician Eubie Blake, comic actor Stepin Fetchit, composer W. C. Handy, bandleader Fletcher Henderson, preacher and congressman Adam Clayton Powell, Jr., entertainer Bill "Bojangles" Robinson, and composer Noble Sissle. While living there then meant one had “arrived”, when I consider myself as a striver my objective is not to live in a certain place, but in a certain way. And, to be recognized as an expert in my chosen profession.
Wishing for a future is how I began. Now I strive for my future. The difference for me is action based on applied understanding of personal and professional goal setting and attainment. This requires, at a minimum, weekly self-assessment, change readiness, brainstorming and contingency management planning. Usually, my week has ONE task to accomplish, though my weeks are filled with other personal and professional obligations and objectives. However, there is always one task above all that is prioritized as essential to achieve long and short-term goals.
My mantra these days is, “How do you eat and elephant? One bite at a time.” So, I don’t wish the elephant eaten. I eat it. One bite at a time. Big goals do not intimidate me because I have learned that they are composed of little goals, which when attained result in the big goal being achieved. No, I no longer wish. I strive.

No comments:

Post a Comment